This is a resources page for the basic functions of an iPad as covered in the iPad 101 course.
Hardware Tips and Tricks
- Here is hardware locations and tech spects for the iPad mini.
- Double Click the Home Button to easily switch between apps. (This can also be done with a four-finger swipe)
- Triple Click the Home Button to enter into Guided Access Mode (locks the iPad so only one app can be used)
- Press the Home and Power buttons at the same time to take a screen shot (a picture of what is currently showing on the iPad screen)
- The iPad side switch can be used to either lock screen rotation or mute the iPad: See this link for information on how to change its function.
- Troubleshooting: Can 'kill' the app, restart the ipad, or delete and reinstall the app. All three are covered in this three minute video.
Settings in 'General'
- Siri: turn on for voice recognition and dictation. More information about Siri here.
- Text Size: Changes text size for apps that support Dynamic Type.
- Accessibility: Can also turn on Bold Text, Increase Contrast, Invert Colors, and many more.
- This is also where you turn on Guided Access. Guided Access requires a 4 digit code, and if you forget the code then the iPad will have to be wiped (all data erased).
- Speak Selection: Will speak highlighted words.
- Multitasking Gestures: Four-finger swipe will switch between apps, swipe up to view all apps, Airplay, and search, and pinch to go to the home screen.
- Side Switch: Can choose Lock Rotation or Mute
- Keyboard: Settings such as split kepyboard and enable or disable features such as auto correction and check spelling.
Settings in 'Passcode'
- Change Passcode
- Note: If your Shakopee email is synced to your iPad, then a passcode requirement will be enforced when setting up email.
- Require Passcode: Immediately
You can edit your apple ID in the iTunes & App store section toward the bottom of the settings menu on the left.
Some additional Resources
iBook - iOS 7.1 User Guide
ipadapps4school.com - great blog on apps with suggested uses
www.graphite.org - reviews of websites and apps
www.appolearning.com - apps approved by educators, organized by categories
Apps Gone Free - app for free apps that are only for the day